On Wednesday, October 21, the Department of Tourism (DOT) announced that hotels in GCQ and MGCQ areas are now allowed to operate at their full capacity.
In a statement published by Inquirer, Tourism Secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat noted that “the decision to open at 100% operational capacity will be subject to the hotel management’s decision and compliance with the safety guidelines.”
Puyat said the DOT would also soon issue the guidelines for the expanded operational capacity of hotels.
Last week, DOT welcomed the amended guidelines from the Inter-Agency Task Force on the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EIMD). With this, tourists can now visit destinations under general community quarantine (GCQ) and modified general community quarantine (MGCQ).
Under IATF Resolution No. 79, “the interzonal movement of non-authorized persons outside residences (non-APOR) between areas placed under GCQ and MGCQ for any purpose shall be permitted subject to the reasonable regulations imposed by the local government unit (LGU) concerned, if any, and which should be submitted to the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG), or in the case of Boracay Island, subject to those imposed by the Boracay Inter-Agency Task Force (BIATF).”
Previously, hotels were only allowed to operate with a skeleton workforce.
“Also approved in the said resolution is the easing up of interzonal and intrazonal movement, which is the predicate to reviving domestic tourism,” Puyat said.
“Along with this comes the need to ready the whole tourism value chain, which includes the accommodation, transportation, and tour operation sectors. Allowing the accommodation sector to operate at full capacity will be most welcomed by tourism’s workforce that has been greatly affected since the community lockdown,” she added.